After viewing the slideshow on the ACCESS website and reading about the small town of Tarrant that is offering online classes to those who have previously failed, I must ask myself firstly, how do they expect these children who are said to be living in poverty to have a computer at home. Next, doesn't it seem almost like a reward to a student to have the ability to make up a class that they failed online? And at that, in my previous experience, web based classes are much easier than those that are in the classroom. This program almost seems like a teacher offering extra credit to a student who is failing because they didn't do their assigned work.
Don't get me wrong now, I'm all about having every student succeed, but it just seems like teachers and education leaders are doing whatever they can to get the A. Unless it is earned, I don't see why a child deserves it. I also don't understand why they are rushing students to graduate early. It is hard enough to release an 18 year old out into the real world with college and jobs and bills. Why would anyone want to put that responsibility on anyone prematurely?
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment